- since 2015
- Team member of the research group Highland Asia and PhD student at the Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Munich.
- Research Associate and lecturer at the Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Tuebingen, Germany
- Master of Arts, Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Tuebingen, Germany
- Fieldwork in Tajikistan and Afghanistan (7 months)
- Exploratory fieldwork in Tajikistan (1 month)
- Bachelor of Arts, Social and Cultural Anthropology (major) and Political Science (minor), Department of Political and Social Sciences, Free University of Berlin, Germany
- Fieldwork in Pakistan (6 months)
- Tutor with teaching responsibilities (B.A. level), Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Free University of Berlin, Germany (4 terms)
- "Orientalism Reloaded", seminar (B.A. level), lecturer together with Annika Schmeding, Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Free University of Berlin, Germany (6 months)
- Internship at Janani (NGO) within the realm of "Family Planning", Patna, India (6 months)
Awards and Grants
- Conference travel expenses, Universitätsbund Tübingen e.V.
- Student Research Scholarship PROMOS for fieldwork in Tajikistan, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD, 6 months)
- Student Research Scholarship PROMOS for fieldwork in Pakistan, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD, 6 months)
Professional Experience Outside Academia
- since 2015
- Co-editor of the CESMI-Blog "My Take On…"
- Freelance photographer
- Vocational training in photography
- May 2014
- "No Debt, No Business. Social and Moral Dimensions of Retail Trading in Ishkoshim, Tajikistan", presented at the "ASEEES-CESS Joint Regional Conference", 22–24 May 2014, Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan
- August 2017
- "Dis-Connections. Outline of a PhD research project in the Wakhan Valley", presented at the conference "Pamir and beyond - Highland Livelihoods Past and Present", 5 August 2017, Academy of Sciences Tajikistan, Khorogh, Tajikistan
- "Es werde Orient! Eine europäische Schöpfungsgeschichte", 360° Das studentische Journal für Politik und Gesellschaft 6 (1): 9-15
: Maertens, Carolin (2017): “No debt, no business”: The Personalisation of Market Exchange in Gorno-Badakhshan, Tajikistan. In: R. Hardenberg (ed.): Approaching Ritual Economy. Socio-Cosmic Fields in Globalized Contexts. RessourcenKulturen 4. Tuebingen: 159-192.